Clara Ford Quilt Gallery

An exhibition of the quilts of Clara Ford, who lived and quilted in Crossett, Arkansas until her death in 1966. Visit www.clarafordfoundation.org for more information about African American quilts and quilters.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, United States

Soon after beginning to quilt, I inherited eight of my grandmother's quilts. My grandmother Clara Ford was born December 12, 1892 and died May 20, 1966. She lived and quilted in Crossett, Arkansas. My mother was one of her six children. This site is dedicated to her memory,the preservation of her quilts and the preservation of antique quilts made by African Americans. I started quilting as a way to balance the stress in a high profile job. Along the way, I found my bliss. I love the notion of putting together pieces that may be ugly standing alone, but become gloriously beautiful when made a part of the whole. I love sharing my bliss by giving my quilts to others. I am a founding member of the Brown Sugar Stitchers Quilt Guild in Atlanta. The members are predominantly African American, and their unique view of color and style is a source of constant inspiration for me. I am the founder of the Clara Ford Foundation, a foundation that honors my grandmother's quilts.

Saturday, June 11, 2005

Clara’s Shoo Fly Quilt

61 x 72 inches
circa 1960


Clara’s Shoo Fly consists of 15 shoo fly blocks bordered by sashing strips; Red, yellow and blue are dominant colors. There are alternating solid red squares. The quilt has a plain white muslin back. A yellow outer border forms a fold-over binding. It is hand quilted with white thread in grid pattern.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home